Desiderata: Reflection


     Happiness is something that can only be defined by people themselves, it depends who is defining it as it means different to different people. Some people gave this simple word a complex meaning. It even is divided into two components: eudaimonic and hedonic, but for me, happiness simply means to be able to feel the freedom of being oneself and being free from fear and anxiety. Life is never easy and as young as I am, I realized that. That is why the thought of being able to indulge in luxuries, being able to travel to places and meet people and many other pleasurable situations, never crosses my mind. Because to be free is a euphoric feeling in this world full of negativity.

     Desiderata is poem I have read before when I was in grade 6, it is full of lessons that teaches the readers different values. One lesson I found was learning to let go of the negativity, this includes toxic people, emotions and thoughts. This is a lesson I need to learn and I want to share because only by truly letting go of the negativity can we reach the tranquility and peace within ourselves and with the people around us. With this, we will be able to be truly happy with ourselves. Negativity clouds our mind thus affecting our judgement and perspective in life, making us bitter and anxious people. Its like we are chained by those disabling us to be happy and contented with what we have achieved in life.

     In the world today, negativity is everywhere. It is invading and destroying life and robbing the freedom of being true and honest to oneself. I am one of those people who let it consume me. But as I got the message of the poem, I realized that stress and fatigue weakens my mind and body. It is affecting me and I realized that the fears I have now but never had when I was a child were because of the poisonous thoughts I have for myself. Desiderata made me realize to enjoy life and enjoy youthful things without harming people. It made me aware of how foolish it is to compare with others and how vain it is to always think of superiority and inferiority when everyone of us are equal.

     Letting go of the things that burden us is like unchaining ourselves from the invisible restraints we have. It lifts up the pain and anger we have, making the heavy feeling gone. Letting go makes us happy and enjoy the positive moments without any worries. With this, we will be more open and positive with our emotions, with our judgement and our perspective in life. Let go and let us be happy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul of the Great Bell: A Story Told and Reflected

Bakit Nanghuhusga ang mga Tao sa Kapwa?